|On this Day 6th December 1909|
Our Perfect Little Fairyland in Penzance
Rinking: it’s already sweeping the nation, and now it can sweep Penzance.The old West of England Knitting Company in New Street has been transformed into “the People’s Palace”.
|The Penwith Papers|
myths and tales of some plants in Morrab Gardens, Penzance
Morrab House with its walled garden was built in 1841 and bought by Penzance Corporation in 1888. The London designer, Reginald Upcher, won the prize of 20 guineas with his plan to turn the three acre site into a public park. The sub-tropical collection was started in the 1880s with contributions of plants from local gentry including the Bolithos of Trengwainton and Trewidden, the Dorian Smiths of Tresco Isles of Scilly, the Boscawen family at Ludgvan, and plants sent from New Zealand by botanist Rev William Colenso.