M.V. Alacrity ran aground at Portheras Cove on 13 September 1963. She has remained a topic of interest ever since.......
In his history of Levant Mine, Cyril Noall provides a brief outline of the wreck of the William Cory
on 5th September 1910. The wreck proved to be a bit of a windfall for the mine but how did the William Cory come to run aground on a calm day with excellent visibility?
Between 1498 and 1508 the itinerant Stannary Court at Lelant registered at least 10 St Just tinbounds. While an Cruen ton Gwynn was registered on 3rd September 1502.
Francis Oats died in Port Elizabeth aged 69 on 1st September 1918. In St Just today his most lasting monument is the the house he build overlooking Cape Cornwall – Porthledden House – built in the years 1907-1909.
On Sunday 30th August 1931 the St Just War Memorial was dedicated. Why did St Just have to wait so long for a public memorial to its war dead?
Private John Leggo of St Just was killed on 23 August 1914, the British army's first day of fighting on the Western Front. He was 24 years old, one of the first of many Cornishmen to die in World War One, a war which saw 7.2 million battlefield deaths.
When R.M. Ballantyne, celebrated author of boys' adventure stories such as Coral Island, went underground at Botallack on 17th August 1868 he was just one of many to visit the wonder mine of the west and sign the sign the Vistors Book.
On 5 August 1836 the West Briton advertised the sale of Wheal Cock Mine, St Just, drained by a water pressure engine with a 40 fathom head of water.
On 4th Auhust 1914, as clocks around the country struck 11pm, Britain entered into a state of war with Germany. At 11.02pm First Lord of the Admiralty, Winston Churchill, send a telegram to the Fleet, “Commence hostilities against Germany”.